Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

Policies & News

Policy & News Updates in Wales

Rent Smart Wales licensing training

29 March 2016 - 4 Comments

As part of the Rent Smart Wales licensing requirement, license holders are required to have completed approved training – meaning you can successfully manage tenancies within the law and maintain the rented property in good repair.

The RLA is one of the first authorised providers for training in Wales and has a choice of classroom or online approved Landlord training courses under the Housing (Wales) Act 2014.

The courses cover the main principles that affect landlords including: pre-tenancy, setting up a tenancy, during the tenancy and ending a tenancy. Landlords are required to pass the assessment at the end of the course to meet the Rent Smart Wales licensing requirements.

Both courses are relevant to Landlord Licensing only and not suitable for Letting Agents who will need to attend appropriate training in order to obtain an Agents’ licence.

There is a special bundle deal available for non-members offering the course and one year’s RLA membership at a discounted price.

Please select a course for more information:

Classroom – Rent Smart Wales

Online – Rent Smart Wales


  • Ben says:

    I would like to know when there are courses available in north Wales please. Thank you

  • Alan Wyn Williams says:

    I have been acting as a management provider on behalf of my friends.
    My duries are liaising with Estate Agents, meeting and be on call on behalf of landlord and tenant.
    There are two landlords that I provide this service.
    With three properties that have the same arrangement.
    Can I register with you, and also obtain the necessary qualification on their behalf?
    What qualification do I require. I am intending to join RLA. But not sure in what capacity?
    I would appreciate your assistance, as we do take our landlord duties seriously.
    Best Wishes

    • RLA Wales says:

      Hi Alan,

      It may be worth having a conversation with our landlord advice team to make sure we fully understand your situation, but from the above it sounds as though you will need an agent licence and training. The good news is that it should come at the same cost as the landlord licence, but this is something I’d suggest clarifying with the landlord advice team.

      You will need to apply for a licence via Rent Smart Wales and become trained as an agent. We currently only provide training for landlords to comply with the new scheme, however training for agents is something we are looking into. You have some choice when it comes to who you do you training with, however you actually apply for the licence with Rent Smart Wales.

      I hope this has answered some of your questions, we really would recommend calling the landlord advice team just to discuss a few finer details.

  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *